Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A few odds and ends





I am guessing this is a sanderling - it was in a pond near the high school... I rode over there because I had remembered seeing a big retention pond there and it was full of shore birds. Cute!

















This is a spiny softshell turtle - they live in Mary's Creek down the block. Very strange head, and a body like a pancake :)
























Now these 2 ladies patrol my yard, chasing the squirrels and mice away from my garden...











Wow, it has been nearly a year since hurricane IKE!! Would you believe that this fig tree was chopped down to the ground after the storm - because it had been blown over and so badly damaged... today it is about 1/2 the size of what it was but thanks to a great root system it is doing fine and made figs!! Notice also the oranges on the little tree to the left... that little tree survived the hurricane just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment