Friday, March 19, 2010

just what I needed in Galveston!

I just had to get back at birding, especially when I heard that the migration was underway... so I headed down to Galveston, for a sunny 64 degree beautiful day. First I saw this cute blue-gray gnatcatcher (he is only about 4 1/2" long).





Black and white warblers defy gravity searching for bugs in the bark...










They are beautiful!










I have to say this is the bird I very much wanted to find today - the Prothonotary Warbler!! It did not seem to mind me being there at all.



He was playing hide and seek!!! What a sight for sore eyes!










Is this a masterful work of art or what!?









Absolutely lovely!






This little guy with the yellow spectacles is a Yellow-throated Vireo. He was singing away!


























What a gorgeous bird.













Now you see him, now you don't. This is prime Yellow-throated Vireo habitat :)


(next time get the edge)













Here I am!!
















I made a circle around Lafitte's cove, and saw these Blue-Winged Teal in the marsh.

















Unusual pattern on a Yellow-rumped Warbler!














This little cutie almost landed on me - a friendly Yellow-throated Warbler!



















He is exquisite up close!




















The shadows in the woods can play tricks, but I think this is a northern Parula. Brilliant colors!!!
See how tiny it is compared with the dandelion blooms?














The birds all seemed content having a nice place to feed in the middle of Galveston Island. There are not many wooded areas left after Ike.
















This was a surprise too - a White-eyed Vireo. Each bird today seemed to be especially breathtaking. Wow. Our Creator has surely given us a taste of Eden once again!!!














A closer look (cropping software is a good thing...)




No comments:

Post a Comment