Monday, July 5, 2010

Carolina wrens, barn swallows, and bugs.

Ever bit off more than you can chew? This blue jay was feasting on the tallow tree berries.
I suspect mama cardinal is building a new nest in a safer place!



Looks like a fledgling mocking bird... my poor dogs have been dive bombed by a pair of mockingbirds that are nesting in my fig tree! Now that is funny to watch!
This monster is a lesser vine sphinx moth - resting on my front porch.
And this lovely butterfly is the black swallowtail.
Here we have a hungry young Carolina Wren.

I really enjoy having a Carolina Wren family in my yard!






The parents are nearby, still feeding this young one.

I just love the wrens.

They sure are tiny.

I haven't seen scissor-tailed flycatchers in a long time.
Back at home, the Mourning Doves gorge at my feeders.
I guess they return the favor by planting sunflowers for me!
Could the red-bellied woodpecker be looking for a nesting site?
Under a bridge near the high school, I noticed this barn swallow nest, with the typical 1/2 cup shaped mud and stick nest, carefully lined with soft feathers.
Suddenly it comes alive with the cutest of chicks, with bright yellow mouths.

Woa, at the approach of the male barn swallow, it comes to life!
Who will get this unfortunate dragonfly?

The female barn swallow is just a bit lighter colored than the male. They were continually feeding the babies about every 2 minutes or less!

Love these Green anoles! There is a lot going on in my yard!

1 comment:

  1. Mom and I really enjoyed looking at your pictures. She says she used to have Barn Swallows up at the River. Mom also liked to watch the ducks, the blue herons, and the ospreys.

    ReplyDelete